Friday, February 15, 2008

I don´t want to leave

Somehow the last two entries got switched, but no worries. I´m sure you can figure it out.

Well, tomorrow I take an early bus to Costa Rica where I´m going to take a week to learn to surf before heading back to Colorado. That´s the plan anyways. I may just end up going for a swim with a surf board attached to my ankle. But, I´m excited to give it a go.



Anyways, as usual it´s a bit sad to be saying goodbye. My host family here in Granada was very nice, but I didn´t have the opportunity to get to know them very well which in a way is disappointing, but also makes goodbye easier. I have to admit I will miss the two year old, Julio Cesar, and our daily game where he has the green action figure without feet and I have the gold one without an arm and we look all over the living room for our missing parts.



Saying goodbye to the teachers and the kids at Casa Xalteva was tougher. I learned so much there. Definitely my Spanish is better, but more importantly it was really inspiring being surrounded by the great people that work at the school and the kids that benefit from their programs. Casa Xalteva is by far one of the best social programs I´ve encountered in my travels and is run by absolutely fantastic people.



The truly hard part was saying goodbye to the kids I was working with at Carita Feliz. They are so freaking great! I had purchased a painting from my favorite kiddo, and today she surprised me with a gift of another painting she had been saving that wasn´t on display to be sold. She told me it was her insurance policy that I would return. She´s good, huh? So, yeah, I´ll definitely be returning to Granada!