Monday, February 4, 2008

Singing and Dancing

Last night I went to a going away party for a friend from my school. When I got to the house, the entire family was in the middle of the living room dancing. Even the auntie who had on a polyester suit and orthopedic shoes that any nun would be proud of was shaking her ass off. We danced to all types of music (traditional Nica marimba music to rap and everything in between) and everybody was singing dancing and having so much fun. Even the teens in the street out front playing soccer would break into some moves while waiting for cars to pass. In my house the dad is always singing and dancing while he sweeps the floors in the morning and the 20 something year old son loves to sit in front of his DVD of air supply videos and sing his heart out. And, just before I walked into this internet cafe, a teenage kid was walking home from school this afternoon practicing his recorder (like the one we all got in fourth grade) while his friends were singing along. It doesn´t matter if the music or dance is good or bad. It´s just a natural expression of joy - like laughing or smiling. I think I´m going to walk home now and practice my salsa moves on the way!